BRIGHTON, England – A British businessman on Tuesday believed to be the source of a group of coronavirus cases in Britain and France saying he was fully healed but would remain in isolation as a precaution.
Hove man Steve Walsh, who lives in Brighton, south of England, was infected with the virus at a conference in Singapore last month, according to his representatives, before he went to a chalet in the French Alps where a number of other Britons were ill. Mr Walsh was already widely known in British media as the man who brought the virus into the shelter.
Mr Walsh thanked doctors for their care in a statement released by a public relations firm representing him and his employer.
“Even when I’m fully healed, my thoughts are still with those who have infected the coronavirus,” said Mr Walsh, one of at least eight people in Britain who tested positive for coronavirus last month.
More than 5,3 peopleSince the first outbreak in Wuhan, central China, late last year, most people have been infected with the virus in China, and more than 1,000 people have died. The virus has spread to at least 20 countries, Worldwide pandemics are raising fears.
In Britain, Focusing on a cluster of transmissions Late last month at a ski resort in Les Contamines-Montjeri, a French alpine town near Switzerland.
At least six people in Britain, including Mr Walsh, and five British in France who have the virus, joined the chalet.
British health authorities announced on Monday that they have confirmed four more cases of coronavirus in the country, All closely linked and tied to the French transmission.
In his statement, Mr Walsh said he contacted his physician and local public health officials to find out he had been exposed to coronavirus cases.
“I was advised to attend a detached room at the hospital without showing any signs and later self-isolate at home as instructed,” he said. “When the diagnosis was confirmed I was sent to a detached unit at the hospital where I am staying and as a precaution, my family was also asked to isolate them.”
Mr Walsh’s employer, a gas analyst company called Cervomex, issued a statement stating that he was fully healed and was pleased that it “will continue to provide support to him and his family.”
The company said it was working with the Public Health Authority and said it was applying self-isolation to others attending a sales conference in Singapore where it was believed Mr Walsh was infected with the virus.
The conference was attended by approximately 90 company employees from January 1 to 22. The first Cervomax employee tested positive for coronavirus on February 3 – the person also attended the conference – and guidance was issued for all staff members. The matter alerted Mr Walsh about the situation and he later contacted his physician.
On Monday evening, public health officials said two of the new cases announced earlier on Saturday were healthcare workers and said they had been advised to isolate themselves.
“We are now urgently working to identify all patients and other healthcare workers who have come into close contact, and at this stage we believe it is relatively few,” said Professor Yvonne Doyle, director of treatment for Public Health England. , Said in a statement.
National Public Health Officials did not specify the number of contacts for health workers, yet a senior health care group official said at least 12 patients had come in contact at Brighton County Oak Medical Center. The official, speaking on condition of anonymity, was not allowed to speak to the media.
He said the center was working with national health officials to identify patients’ movements.
Brighton’s Beverdian Elementary School also says one of its staff members was advised to self-isolate after coming in contact with someone carrying the virus. It states that if parents want to keep their children at home, it will allow absences.
Public Health England is looking to find people who can contact someone with coronavirus, which is working with the Department of Health, the National Health Service and the local council to respond to current cases.
The process involves health officials working with each patient to collect information on the onset of symptoms or, in the case of travelers, where they have been since arriving in Britain.
Then all contacts are classified at high or low risk. They are believed to be at risk, and they are assessed daily, and some may be asked to isolate themselves, health officials said.
Any contact reporting the symptom will be evaluated and suggested to test the virus, the official said.
But in Brighton, where several confirmed cases are linked, many feared they were not being given enough information.
Brighton and Hove City Council member Samir Baghine, criticized by health officials and local council for lack of information. Mr Bagen said health officials’ advice that people create “self-isolation” distractions.
Mr Bagain said, “We have not been given any information about the self-isolation process.” “Are these people still going to the store and buying groceries? And if not, who are they coming into contact with, and how are they being protected? “
Brighton residents expressed similar frustration, with many complaining that the information was coming through public channels rather than face to face.
“It’s a small place, and it’s scary to think that anyone can have it and anyone can get it,” said convenience store employee Adam Neal, who left a “cable card” sign Monday to avoid people’s cash.
“Nobody gave us any information, so we have to be careful on our own,” he said.
Local taxi driver Jack Henley said he would work half a day until the risk of getting infected was reduced.
“Our officers do not let us wear masks because they do not want to drive our customers away, but I am afraid of customers, obviously,” he said.
Britain’s Secretary of Health, Matt Hancock, told parliament on Wednesday that the coronavirus would only get worse before the situation got better, but noted that the threat to the public has remained “moderate” as the number of infections has increased in Britain in recent times. “
On Sunday, 105 British nationals returned home on a flight from China to Wuhan. They are now on the verge of isolation.
Mr Hancock defended the measures launched Monday to increase the government’s ability to isolate people who are believed to be at risk of spreading the virus. He warned that the response to the coronavirus would be long-term.
“Dealing with the disease is a marathon, not a sprint,” he said.